18/365 days into 2017 and I’m becoming lazy.
Well, lazier than I usually am. Our treadmill stopped working and the only remedy was silicon lube, which we weren’t able to buy until this week. So what did I do in the meantime? Well the treadmill was busted. The only other way I was going to reach my step goal was to walk around my neighborhood…..great.
It has been cold this past week and walking/jogging in it was no fun. I did get to go on a few adventures with my sister and look at our neighborhood in the snow, which made 1, 2, 3 blog posts you guys seemed to enjoy.
I don’t mean to complain, but I prefer the treadmill to the open road.
- When I use the treadmill, I can go more miles than I can street walking.
- I’m in the comfort of my own garage and no one can judge me for running weird or pulling out a wedgie.
- I don’t know what side of the road to walk on. Do I face traffic or away from it? When I was younger, my mom told us to walk on the side where we can see the cars coming towards us. I still don’t know till this day.
- When I use the treadmill, I can blast music through a speaker instead of using earbuds that fall out of my ear whenever I try to jog when on the road.And I absolutely hate this! Does this happen to anyone else? I’ve tried looping the earbud behind your ear and then putting them in but it’s hopeless.
- And most importantly, if I need to pee, the bathroom is only 20 steps away.
Recently I’ve been falling into a funk where I get only 2000 steps a day and eat when I am bored, which aren’t good habits to start forming (let’s be honest the latter I do more often than not.) I have an attainable weight goal. It sounds so easy to lose 18 pounds. I can do this; I just need to get my head in the game.
I bought two active wear leggings (BOGO!) from Old Navy to inspire myself to exercise more. I went three miles on Sunday and even did some speed jumps and speed steps (I’m an exercise noob, excuse the names.) I felt pretty fit after the work out, but the next morning I weighed myself and I hadn’t lost anything. WTH? I didn’t understand. I had small portions of food that whole day. I know pounds won’t melt off in 24 hours but a girl can hope.
We finally bought the lube and went to the treadmill to apply it, but the belt kept sliding to one side. After thirty minutes of turning bolts counterclockwise and clockwise again, everyone was frustrated and the treadmill seemed to work. I went on it today and started at a slow 2.5 speed to warm up and then the belt stopped short which had me like..
Just kidding! I caught myself and kept walking for ten minutes while the belt kept skipping and then I stopped and got off. Walking that slow with a malfunctioning belt wasn’t worth it.
According to an article called Treadmill running vs. Street running, “...treadmill running focuses more on getting your heart rate up and burning calories. Running outdoors helps build your endurance and strengthen your lungs because of the wind.” I saw this article the day after the treadmill broke. I thought “I don’t plan on running a marathon any time soon; I think I’ll stick to the treadmill once we get it fixed.”
I guess I just have to suck it up and go outside.